How to: Remove Chrome Windshield Trim on Toyota Pickup/Hilux

How to: Remove Chrome Windshield Trim on Toyota Pickup/Hilux


Hey Garage Heads… Welcome back to the 6th Gear Garage! The fragile windshield trim on these old Toyota
Trucks is a real pain to remove. Today, I’ll show how it’s done. I’m using my 1987 2wd pickup for today’s
demo. These 84-88 trucks & 84-89 4runners have an
8-piece windshield trim set. First, let’s have a look at my 85 4×4, which
is missing the windshield trim. I took it off when I painted the truck and
haven’t put it back on. You can see there are some big clips on the
bottom here, going all the way across. On the side here you can see clips are embedded
into the sealant used to install the windshield. Some of these came off when I removed the
trim for painting. There’s a broken clip right there, covered
in primer. On the top there are more clips. This one’s partially broken. Most of them did break. Over on the driver’s side, more of them
are still in tact. So over time, debris and moisture can build
up behind the trim and cause rust around the windshield. My truck had this a little bit and I fixed it before it
got too bad and ate through the metal. Well let’s go pull the trim off the 87 and
see how it looks. I have my panel poppers here to give me more prying surface area than if I was to just just a flat head screwdriver. I need to put these all the way between the
back of the trim and the glass. I actually need to get behind the black part, not just behind the chrome part…. like this. Now I like to go up and down the trim and
push it up a little at a time. Just don’t get too aggressive and force
it too much and it should be alright. The side pieces are pretty strong. I should have some pop noises here… There’s one. That’s what I’m looking for. See it’s starting to come loose down here. Let’s focus up here now. Man, it’s hanging on… This is a good one! There we go… getting somewhere now. There it is! The driver’s side is free. Once the side is loose there is enough play
here that you can just slide it right out of the corner pieces. It’s a good idea to mark these if you’re
going to ever put them back on. Especially the corner pieces, cause they look
similar. The corner pieces just pull right off. It’s the exact same process for the passenger
side. There’s a little bit of rust starting on
the edge up here. Probably from a rock chip that never got repaired. Here’s another. But then, If you look down the edge here, you’ll
see the debris that I mentioned earlier which can hold in moisture and also cause rust. This is decades of dirt and parking under
trees. Here’s one of those clips, one side broken. This one is completely in tact. The top one’s broken. Plastic gets brittle with age… not much
you can do about that. This little curved piece up here is stuck
in the sealant. Usually they come off with the corner pieces. I’ll do the bottom next, it’s pretty easy. Save the top for last since it’s the hardest.
and the easiest to bend. Now this isn’t the original windshield from 1987. It’s a PPG windshield, so it’s been replaced in the past. First I’m removing the cowl cover. Going across the bottom you can see the clips
are attached to the cowl with a tiny phillips head screw. Being in Ohio, all mine are pretty rusty of course. With those removed, I can start to pry this
up now. Alright, that was easy. I must have popped the passenger side off
from the black clip when I was prying on the side trim. This one’s a little stubborn here. Notice I’m prying on the clip itself, not
the trim. I’d rather snap the clip than bend the trim. I’ve got the last black one on the end here…
if I can get in there. There it goes, popped right out. Here’s the back. That’s the last one I pulled off, it came
with the trim. The white one was screwed on. This little one clipped to one of the 2 center
black clips that stayed on the cowl. And then there was one. The top is tough because it’s thinner than
the rest … I’ve had good and bad luck on these. Look how easily this stuff bends. It’s like they decided to use tin foil for
the top piece. Alright, good start! Got another one. There’s another… Here’ a better view. So far so good! Let’s go over here… That one seems really stubborn… Let’s do the outer one first. uhhhh I done goofed.. I should have just kept going across. It bent on that stuck clip when I popped the
other side up. Look at that. It made a ripple in the chrome. I can try and bend it back into shape, but
that ripple is always going to be there. Well, you can’t win em all… Learn from my mistakes kids… go all the way
across. So here’s the clips that held on the top
trim. Broken. In tact broken also broken good and broken. So that’s how to remove the trim, just don’t
mess up the top piece like I did by skipping around. Installing the trim is a whole separate process. All those broken clips need to be replaced
when the windshield is installed using urethane sealant. So when I get around to replacing the windshield,
I’ll document that and share it as well. Hey thanks for watching! Consider subscribing for more How-to videos
and project vehicle updates, here at the 6th Gear Garage! Oh by the way… A lot of viewers have asked about buying merchandise
to help support the channel. I’m working on some shirt designs and I’ll
let you all know when those are available… stay tuned!

About the Author: Michael Flood

5 Comments

  1. Oh I hate those rust causers, them and the stupid factory chrome fender flare things… Peeled all that off immediately, and windshield trim was just replaced with some universal rubber. Easy 60% of my rust was caused by the chrome…

  2. One thing you taught me is, I am not about to risk it. I wanted to replace my lower corner pieces, but me thinks not. Thanks for the video. Very enlightining..JC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *